The Board is be composed of individuals from different affinity groups, organizations and individuals that represent the constituency and stakeholders. The Board will work with the Outreach Group (OG) and constituency to increase diversity of constituency and inclusion of marginalized underrepresented community members. We believe no one is disposable. We believe the personal is political. We will not be separated from our identities and communities nor forced to assimilate nor disregard our values in order to appease those in positions of power. We believe in prioritizing people and values over money and resources based in capitalism. We acknowledge that many have come before us and done a lot with very little. We honor Marsha P Johnson, Sylvia Rivera, Miss Major and all the amazing trans women of color who fought to survive working the streets and, and, continued to bring in girls off the street and house them. We believe we can prioritize people over money and still have a bountiful revolution. We recognize that we are organizing on unceded Duwamish land and thus prioritize working in solidarity with Duwamish as well as with other local tribes and turtle island aboriginals in general, always prioritizing indigenous sovereignty.
Community Guidelines (especially for allies):
- Support the committee
- With resources and funding
- By listening to the voice of marginalized members
- Recognize their place in the whorearchy, oligarchy as well as their white/shade, cis and/or het privilege.
- Recognize that sometimes privilege prevents people from seeing their privilege and thus it is important to not take feedback, about said privilege, as a personal attack but as a gift we can grow from.
- When receiving feedback always assume positive intent.
- Recognize that we must see how we participate in systematic oppression
- How systematic oppression is crazy making and infuriating
- Recognize when someone is angry, it is important not to tone police someone expressing frustration about your participation within the system because you need to be accountable for your actions and tone policing is crazy making and victim blaming. It is perfectly reasonable to be angry when someone is harming you.
- Keep an open mind as we further define community guidelines, recognizing the validity of others experiences.
Short Term Goals for OG
- Create a coalition of different affinity groups, organizations and individuals to increase outreach.
- Apply for grants and fundraise to create paid positions for marginalized individuals.
- First paid position priority is for preferably more than one Administrate Outreach Coordination and help facilitate other ongoing activities such as ongoing workshops and additional fundraising.
- Future fundraising will create paid outreach positions for those from the community.
- Outreach to street medics and medical personnel to take volunteer shifts with paid community outreach worker and to teach medical skills that are useful in the field.
- Create and schedule ongoing workshops, health fairs and community events that includes food and resources for constituency.
Provide technical assistance to the organization around diversity and inclusion (as needed)
- Work with intake forms, questionnaires and other systems to maintain accessibility.
- Work to ensure that imagery and communication is accessible and responsive and not offensive to marginalized individuals/communities.
- Develop ongoing diversity and inclusion trainings and workshops for staff, volunteers and community based on constituency recommendations.
Outreach to and engagement of marginalized individuals and communities (as needed)
- Outreach to organizations and individuals who are marginalized and not accessing OG.
- Pursue opportunities to gain knowledge and tactics for diversity work within people living with HIV, drug user, people of color, sex workers, disabled individuals and other marginalized individuals engaging in street economies/life.
- Serve as point of contact for grievance process. Help marginalized individuals navigate process.
- Work with the organization to ensure that the process doesn’t further marginalize or stigmatize folks.
- Serve as liaison between marginalized individuals and OG interface.
D&I Program Development (as needed)
Sit on committees, workshops, seminar, etc to develop better overarching services for marginalized communities* (Marginalized communities refers includes but is not limited to trans communities, communities of color, indigenous communities, and disabled communities.)
- Develop methodologies to increase collaboration between marginalized constituency and OG.
- Assess the needs of marginalized communities to access OG.
- Develop programming that increases leadership from marginalized communities.
- Develop protocol around addressing grievances that accommodates disenfranchised individuals.
- Work with volunteers, Volunteer Coordinator and/or Committee around trainings and other diversity issues.
- Evaluate diversity needs and provide recommendations on how to achieve diversity goals.
- Review and assess the design of current and future, external and internal programs in order to ensure their integrity and implementation of diversity and inclusion.
- Develop resources to address the needs of people with disabilities accessing the programming.
- Develop protocol and procedure for individuals accessing the programming who are dealing with mental health and interpersonal violence issues (including suicide.)